Sunday, December 11, 2016

I LOVE Borders!

I Love Borders!
Like a star atop a Christmas tree or a frame around a painting, borders are a beautiful artistic necessity on my afghans that proclaim “Ta-Da!” the work is finished.
From a simple corner to corner to an ornately detailed afghan, borders are the finishing touch. They frame the work and provide a definitive ending to the work and keep the edges from looking arbitrary, as if the person who made it just decided to call it quits and ended it there. Many times I’ve used multiple borders and included many of the colors I’ve used in making the afghan. The border is not the place to introduce new colors to the piece! It’s my artistic eye that won’t let me get away with anything ordinary and I love the challenge of learning new stitches – especially crocheting “lace” for the edging.
Borders – I adore them. They are akin to the flounce on a dress, the ribbon around a bonnet, and the bow upon a gift.


I finished this last spring and at the time it was a challenged for me.

This type is called crochet overlay.  I just discovered it this past June

Basic corner to corner. I did this because I was intrigued by the 11 rounds of border!

My first corner to corner. I made 4 of the exact same pattern and sewed them corner to corner.

I did this for one of my boys. These are his colors. Corner to corner

up close the pattern is an abstract cat shape


No comments: